I have come to love making meatloaf (and meatballs) because I can have the freedom to add whatever I want and whatever I have on hand. My first excursion into Meatloaf Land followed this recipe by Kraft Foods, but since then I have altered it slightly. My hubby pronounces these "good enough that they don't even need to be dipped in more barbecue sauce."
makes 12 muffin-sized meatloaves
2 lbs ground beef (or pork or turkey)
1 6-oz pkg StoveTop stuffing (any flavor)
1 cup water
3 green onions, chopped
3/4 cup barbecue sauce
1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
- In a large bowl, mix ground beef, StoveTop, eggs, water, green onions, and 1/2 cup barbecue sauce. (I don't like touching the raw meat any more than I have to, so I use my potato masher to mix this part. :) )
- Fill 12 greased muffin cups with the meatloaf mixture.
- Top the meatloaves with a thin layer of the remaining barbecue sauce. (I used a pastry brush.)
- Bake at 400*F for 30 minutes or until the meatloaf reaches 160*F.
- Top with grated cheddar cheese and bake for 5 more minutes or until cheese is melted.
|From left to right: a mini meatball, a small Atomic Fireball (to sub for a marble since apparently we've lost all of ours...), a regular-sized meatball, and a golf ball. Just to show you a size comparison. :)|